Since the rise of social media and web advertising, print has been declared a “dying” medium. But not so fast – print may be experiencing a comeback. Researchers have found that print has many benefits for the consumer and businesses that could convince you to add print to your next campaign.
1. Consumers appreciate something they can hold onto. Web is great for getting a message out quickly, but print items physically stay with you longer. Research by Millward Brown even proved that “tangible materials leave a deeper footprint in the brain.”
2. Direct Mail is Still Effective. According to a study conducted in 2008 by the Direct Marketing Association, 29% of revenue in a campaign still came from Direct Mail. While that number has probably changed over the past five years, here’s why it’s still important: younger consumers prefer postal mail to email and other advertising techniques. Print produces a deeper emotional connection in consumers.
3. Green Printing Techniques. One of the biggest pitfalls of print used to be how wasteful and harmful to the environment it could be. Now pieces can be printed on recycled paper, using renewable energy sources. Actually, according to Print Is Big, a collection of print statistics, “Reading a newspaper instead of online news produces 20% less CO2.”
4. Responses to Direct Mail are Increasing. While Direct Mail response rates have gone up, email response rates are going down.
5. More Chances to Make Your Designs Stand Out. One of the benefits of print is that you will have a lot more choices to make when it comes to your designs: paper type, size, embossing, die-cutting, laser, inkjet, and more can all add to the experience you want to create with your campaign!
6. Cross Media Campaigns Get Results. Integrating QR codes into direct mail and other print pieces to connect the print and web experiences associated with your campaign can be tremendously successful. Target Marketing’s Sixth Annual Media Usage Forecast found that “US advertisers spend an average of $167 per person on direct mail to earn $2,095 worth of goods sold, giving them a 1300% return.”
While social media and online mediums are very important tools in any campaign, print should not be overlooked. It remains, and will remain, a vital tool in advertising and brand development in the years to come.
If you’re still not sold, visit these sites for more information about print and what it can do for you: